Compare Listings

Historic Long Meadows c.1775

13817 Marsh Pike, Hagerstown, MD 21742, USA
$650,000
  • Description
  • Address
  • Details
  • Features
  • Video

Description

Historic Long Meadows c.1775
Long Meadows is considered by many to be one of the most important historic estates in estate rich Washington County. Built in 3 stages on one of the earliest land grants in the county, this home grew as its subsequent owners became more affluent.  From the intimate c.1775 section with its thick stone walls, historic detail and modern amenities, to the impressive 1840’s brick Greek Revival section with high ceilings, grand entry hall and spacious rooms, and finished with a 1908, Y.E. Yessler designed addition that compliments the 1840’s section and connects to the original c.1775 stone structure. One of the finest colonial manor homes in Maryland, Long Meadows has been carefully restored by the current owners. Nestled on a landscaped 4 acre lot, surrounded by farm land with gorgeous views of South Mountain, this 8 bedroom manor home represents a truly historic opportunity at stewardship of the highest order. Steeped in history that includes visits by Washington, Jefferson & Braddock, as well as, colorful owners like Colonial Thomas Cressap, the notorious Maryland partisan, Long Meadows offers us a portal to a past life that exists in every sensitive soul. The turn of a sculpted key in a carpenter lock follows the same motion as a hundred hands before and the tread of a heel on a pine plank produces the same sound as century ago. Long Meadows offers a buyer the unique opportunity to become a part of the continuum of history.

Brief History by Pat Schooley

During the eighteenth century, a one-room stone cottage was built at Long Meadow, and, a little later, another room was added. Later, a 2 story frame segment was added to this. The imposing brick Greek Revival section of the house was probably built by Dr. Ragan about 1840. This is, in effect, half a house. It consists of a broad center hall, going from the elevated front entrance through to the back of the house, and 2 rooms on each floor that are beyond this hall. This section of the house was fairly easy to date because the doors were fitted with large, iron & brass locks made in England by the Carpenter Company. Carpenter locks were imprinted on the keeper with the ompany name and, beneath that, initials indicating the reigning monarch – in this case, WR. William IV reigned from 1830 to 1837. This elegant brick wing was attached to the frame segment, which had no particular architectural distinction. more

Chain of Title

One of the earliest land grants in Washington County.

1739 – Colonel Thomas Cresap settled at Long Meadows, then 500 acres. A fierce Maryland partisan, called “the monster of Maryland” by his Pennsylvania adversaries, Cresap built a log and stone fort to protect one of the earliest settlements in Washington County.

1746 – Cresap deeded Long Meadows to Daniel Dulaney ( Maryland’s first Attorney General ) in to repay a $500 loan that Cressap used to start a business; the business failed when the French captured a shipment of furs bound for England. Cresap moved to Oldtown.  Daniel Dulaney increased the tract to 2,131 acres.

1763 – Colonel Henry Bouquet (a British Army officer in the French and Indian War) purchased Long Meadows and increased the tract to over 4,000 acres. Colonel Bouquet is renown for having establishing a major east-west road through western Pennsylvania by defeating Indian Chief Pontiac in the Battle of Bushey Run.  Letters from George Washington to Bouquet.

1773 – General Joseph Sprigg, who fought in the Revolutionary War bought Long Meadows after several other owners had sold off much of the land.

1779 – Samuel Hughes, owner of Mount Aetna Furnace and a member of the Maryland Legislature bought Long Meadows. Hughes played a significant role in having the county named for George Washington.

1789 – Colonel Thomas Hart bought Long Meadows. Hart was a wealthy merchant and partner of the founder of Rochester, New York, Nathanial Rochester. Lucretia Hart, daughter of – Col. Hart, married statesman Henry Clay.

1794 – Thomas Hall, a government tax collector, bought Long Meadows. Mr. Hall absconded with government money and the Federal Government took the property.

1831 – Dr. Richard Regan, bought Long Meadows at public auction.

1887 – William Young of Baltimore bought Long Meadows, which stayed in the Young family until 1974 when the Moylans purchased it, with 4 acres.

Information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.

Links

Historical Marker – Long Meadow Hsitorical Marker
National Register of Historic Places – Long Meadows
Maryland Historical Trust – Long Meadows
Maryland Monster – Thomas Cresap (1694-1787)
Thomas Cresap – The Cresaps of Maryland
Thomas Cresap and Maryland’s Colonial Frontier – National Park Service

Media

Herald-Mail – Historic Long Meadows Property For Sale for $1.25M (Don Aines – August 2, 2012)

  • Address: 13817 Marsh Pike
  • City: Hagerstown
  • State/county: Maryland
  • Zip/Postal Code: 21742
  • Country: United States

Detail

Updated on January 9, 2019 at 11:57 pm

  • Property ID: 4446
  • Price: $650,000
  • Land Area: 4 Acres
  • Bedrooms: 8
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Garage: 1
  • Garage Size: 2 spaces
  • Year Built: 1775
  • Property Type: Estates, Homes
  • Property Status: Sold

Video

Contact info

Gary Gestson
Gary Gestson
301-975-9500 ext. 4604301-646-0046
Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube

Enquire about this property

PREVIOUS PROPERTY

Historic Kinna’s Mill House c.1770

NEXT PROPERTY

Historic Cool Hollow House c.1870