Compare Listings

Historic Kinna’s Mill House c.1770

16211 Buck Lantz Rd, Sabillasville, MD 21780, USA
$225,000
  • Description
  • Address
  • Details
  • Features
  • Video

Description

Historic Kinna’s Mill House c.1770 
Historic Kinna’s Mill House c.1770 is an original miller’s house in the heart of the gorgeous Catoctin Mountains. Set on 3.5 private acres near Kinna’s Mill, this stone home has its own spring and is bordered by a stocked trout stream. It has 4 levels of living, with a potential 3rd bedroom and rough in for bathroom on the 4th level. Near to the Appalachian Trail & Camp David, as well as, Cunningham Falls State Park, orchards and farms, this is a home of rare & beautiful distinction close to Frederick, DC & Baltimore, yet a world away.

Kinna’s Mill House

The Kinna’s Mill House (circa 1770), 16211 Buck Lantz Road, is a two story stone house banked into the hill exposing the basement level. The building is situated several yards west of the creek which the principal elevation faces. The side gable roof line of standing seam tin has two brick interior end chimneys. Underneath the roof line, the cornice is corbelled with brick in a dog tooth pattern. Fenestration throughout the building is 6/6 light s with large rough-cut stones used as lintels above some of the windows. Large rough-cut stones have also been used for quoining. The facade has a foundation level with two door openings at each end, a first floor with one 6/6 light window and one door opening, and a second floor with 2 symmetrical 6/6 light windows. A 2 story open porch with a shed roof of standing seam tin extends the full facade from the basement level to the first story. Outbuildings include a frame garage and a stone spring house banked into the hill.
(Maryland Historical Trust)

Kinna’s Mill Historic District

The Kinna’s Mill District is comprised of seven principal buildings situated along two intersecting roads, Foxville-Deerfield Road and Buck Lantz Road, with parallel orientation to Owens Creek. The development of this district originated with the establishment of milling operations on Owen Creek probably in the late 1700’s. The majority of the buildings were associated with the mill and/or activities related to the mill.
The buildings were constructed in relation to the waterway, Owens Creek, which resulted in the formation of the two roads. The placement of the buildings reflects the selection of Owens Creek as a mill site for early settlers. Development of the area began in the late 1700’s and continued into the late nineteenth century.
The buildings were constructed in the vernacular designs of the region with locally available materials. Stone was the prominent material and utilized to construct three of the dwellings and the mill building.
The other two buildings are frame, and the remaining one is brick. All of the buildings are two stories in height with three of the buildings banked into the hills to provide an exposed basement level. Some interesting stylistic details dating from the earliest buildings are evident including dog tooth cornice, large rough-cut stone quoining, a recessed 2 bay entry and segmentally arched fenestration.
Today, the district is all residential in character. During its significant periods, it was residential and commercial. By 1873, there were two milling operations, a grist mill and a saw mill, and a store. The district has retained all of its original components (with the exception of the grist mill and a dwelling house) dating from the late nineteenth century and earlier. Within its boundaries, it has not experienced any twentieth century infill.
(Maryland Historical Trust)

Links

Maryland Historical Trust – Kinna’s Mill Historic District

  • Address: 16211 Buck Lantz Road
  • City: Sabillasville
  • State/county: Maryland
  • Zip/Postal Code: 21780
  • Neighborhood: Kinna's Mill Historic District
  • Country: United States

Detail

Updated on December 21, 2018 at 10:18 pm

  • Property ID: 4356
  • Price: $225,000
  • Property Size: 1300 Sq Ft
  • Land Area: 3.53 Acres
  • Bedrooms: 3
  • Bathrooms: 2
  • Garage: 1
  • Garage Size: 1 Space
  • Year Built: 1770
  • Property Type: Homes
  • Property Status: Sold

Video

Contact info

Gary Gestson
Gary Gestson
301-975-9500 ext. 4604301-646-0046
Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube

Enquire about this property

PREVIOUS PROPERTY

Historic Tulip Hill c.1756

NEXT PROPERTY

Historic Long Meadows c.1775