Historic Bauernschmidt Manor House c.1909
This prestigious manor home has been beautifully restored with elegant, expansive spaces, 11′ ceilings, elaborate woodwork & spectacular views of the Chesapeake Bay from the wraparound porches & an inviting 4th floor cupola. Built in 1909 by Baltimore brewer Frederick Bauernschmidt, as a summer home, on land once owned by philanthropist, Enoch Pratt, this magnificent Italianate-style Victorian home, designed by renowned architect, Robert C. Ullrich, is a tribute to a bygone era of opulence & affluence, with lavish historic detailing and the finest period fixtures. From its meticulously sculpted wood mantels to the finely crafted newel posts and banisters of its splendid dual staircase, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction. Though steeped in history, Bauernschmidt Manor House offers a full complement of modern amenities, including 4 ensuite bedrooms, a gourmet kitchen, central air conditioning and a private in-ground pool. Set on 3/4 of an acre with mature landscaping and a private yard, this gorgeous home is close to Baltimore & DC, yet a world away.
Main Floor (11′ ceiling)
Center Hall 18′ x 11′ – Wood floor, chandelier, closet, original front & rear staircases with wood newel posts & banisters, original wood front double doors with glass, side lites & transom.
Right Parlor 25′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace with decorative ceramic tile & ornate wood mantel, crown molding, plate rail, 3 hanging lamps (one with medallion), pocket doors, door to kitchen, 4 windows.
Left Parlor 21′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace with decorative ceramic tile & ornate wood mantel, 3 hanging lamps with medallions, recessed lighting, 2 wall sconces, pocket doors, open with columns to Dining Room, 3 windows.
Dining Room 22′ x 13′ – Wood floor, plate rail, hanging lamp with medallion, 4 wall sconces, swing door to kitchen, French doors to Sitting Room, 2 windows.
Sitting Room 15′ x 10′ – Laminate floor, wood panel ceiling, hanging lamp, door to screened porch, 4 windows.
Kitchen 16′ x 14′ – Wood floor, ganite counters, center island, custom cabinets, hanging lamps, stainless steel appliances, open to Family Room farmed with 2 columns, open to Breakfast Area, door to porch.
Breakfast Area 10′ x 10′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, wood panel ceiling, 6 windows.
Family Room 20′ x 16′ – Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, ceiling fan with lamp, 4 wall sconces, 6 windows.
Mudroom 7′ x 6′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, door to pool area.
Rear Hall 14′ x 5′ – Ceramic tile floor, door to Bathroom, door to pool area, door to basement.
Full Bathroom 10′ x 7′ – Ceramic tile floor, closet, shower.
2nd Floor (10′ ceiling)
Landing 13′ x 11′- Wood floor, hanging lamp with medallion, original wood door with glass to wrap around porch, side lites & transom, 2 windows.
Master Bedroom Suite 19′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace with decorative ceramic tile & ornate wood mantel, ceiling fan, closet, 2 windows.
*Master Bathroom 16′ x 9′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, walk-in shower, Whirlpool bathtub, wainscot, dual sinks, 2 windows.
Bedroom 2 Suite 15′ x 15′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, 3 windows.
*Bathroom 10′ x 10′ – Ceramic tile floor, bathtub, closet, 2 windows.
Den/Study 16′ x 10′ – Wood floor, 2 windows, door to porch.
Bedroom 3 Suite 16′ x 15′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, closet, 4 windows.
*Bathroom 13′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, recessed lighting, claw foot tub (long), shower, 2 windows.
Bedroom 4 Suite 16′ x 15′- Wood floor, fireplace with decorative ceramic tile & ornate wood mantel, ceiling fan with hanging lamp, 4 windows.
*Steam/Shower Room – Ceramic tiled.
*Commode Room – Sink & commode.
Storage Attic 1 – Wood floor, exposed trusses.
Storage Attic 2 – Wood floor, exposed trusses.
Cupola 11′ x 11′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, 8 windows, spectacular views of the Chesapeake Bay.
Full Basement 58′ x 40′ – Concrete floor, suitable for storage and workshop.
SELECT IMPROVEMENTS (1981)
SELECT IMPROVEMENTS (since 2003)
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1863, Frederick Bauernschmidt was the son of brewer George Baurenschmidt, who had emigrated from Wambach, Germany, in 1853, and his wife Margaretha, whose family (Weissner) was also involved in the city’s brewing business. George, who started life in America working for another Baltimore brewery, opened his own beer plant in 1864. As his family grew, his sons, including Frederick, learned the business and, in 1897, Frederick began construction of his own modern brewery. The following year, George sold his plant to the Maryland Brewing Company, a conglomerate that aggressively acquired various independent companies, many of which had been established by immigrants from Germany.
Frederick borrowed money to complete his new production plant, which he named “American Brewery,” when it opened in 1899. His business grew and by the dawn of Prohibition in 1919, Frederick Bauernschmidt was producing around 350,000 barrels of beer annually. With the adoption of the Eighteenth Amendment, prohibiting the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in the United States, Baurenschmidt’s American Brewery closed. Bauernschmidt remained active in the civic life of Baltimore and made significant contributions to support the Union Memorial Hospital and other organizations and associations devoted to providing care to Baltimore’s citizens. Frederick Bauernschmidt died in 1933.
(National Museum of American History)
The Bauernschmidt Manor site was purchased in 1904…It is believed that the house was built in 1910, and that the foundation contains bricks from the Baltimore fire of 1904. Throughout the year, Frederick used the area to rest his Belgian horses, used to pull beer wagons. He also held crab feasts for his workers on the property. He & his wife, Agnes, lived in the Manor House during June, July & August. Many parties were held there to raise money for the Baltimore Opera, a pet project of Agnes. Agnes sold the estate, at auction, with its house, 44 acres and “out buildings” ten years after the death of her husband. It was acquired in 1943 by a developer who parceled off the land into approximately 100 individual lots. Today, at the entrance to the area a sign proclaims the neighborhood – Bauernschmidt Manor.
(A Brief History of Historic Bauernschmidt)
(Maryland Historical Trust)
Planter’s Paradise is a very late example of Italianate rural architecture in frame and clapboard. The main block of the house is a square with a full width front porch that wraps around both sides. The most prominent feature is a large, square, hip-roofed cupola with twin round-topped windows on all four facades. The main front of the house is cross gabled and its gable peak shelters a large Palladian window. The eaves are heavily bracketed and exposed rafters emerge under the cross-gable eaves. The house is Italianate in style but fitted with the window types available in 1904, including large-pane sash windows and leaded glass windows.
The cupola is supported by a brick column coming up from the basement, according to the former owners, the Williams family. Carlton Jones’s 1989 article described some of the features of the house, its three stairways, its 16 by 26-foot dining room, 58 windows, and 14 rooms.
CHAIN OF TITLE
SOME POTENTIAL USES:
Bed & Breakfast/Inn – Formerly Bauernschmidt Manor B&B
Bauernschmidt Manor House – aka Planter’s Paradise – Maryland Historical Trust
Baltimore Landmarks Booklet – Planter’s Paradise, Page 25.
Historic Preservation Overview – Baltimore Historic Landmarks
County Tax Credits – Historic Tax Credits Information
Maryland Tax Credits – Maryland Heritage Structure Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program
Bauernschmidt Manor B&B – A Brief History of Historic Bauernschmidt
Enoch Pratt – Brief Biography
American Brewery – Frederick Bauernschmidt’s Brewery 1899-1919
“American Brewery” Sign – National Museum of American History
American Brewery Label – Fred. Bauernschmidt’s American Brewery Pale Ale
American Brewery Building – Frederick Bauernschmidt’s Brewery in Baltimore (vintage)
Kilduffs.com – Baltimore Breweries (includes images of American Brewery)
History – Bauernschmidt Family History 1835-1912
All information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office