SOLD – Happy Seller Says:
“We interviewed many agents when we listed and then sold our period home, and Gary proved to be a very effective choice. We believed that Gary could help us sell our home at a higher price than was being recommended by the other agents.
The other agents were clearly used to selling homes to the mass market and did not have an appreciation for the features and characteristics of historic and period homes and the buyers of historic and period homes. Gary and Natalie on the other hand understood what made our home unique and distinctive. They provided very effective guidance in preparing our home for sale and setting up the description, pictures and videos for the listing.
Our listing generated a steady stream of prospective buyers, and within a reasonable period we had the right buyer for the house.
We faced competition because similar houses were on the market. Our property sold at a higher price than these other properties, so Gary provided us the value add that we desired.”
This is a storybook Historic American Four Square with Queen Anne detailing in desirable Montgomery County Maryland close to parks, shopping & entertainment. Located in Gaithersburg’s historic Realty Park, this home is a wonderful blend of historic detailing and modern amenities, including beautiful wood floors, original moldings, fireplace with wood mantel, window seat & wrap around porch, as well as, a spacious updated kitchen, 3.5 modern bathrooms, central air conditioning, insulated windows and vinyl siding. Built nearly 100 years ago, by craftsmen that took pride in their work, this home features a full walk up attic suitable for storage or finishing and a finished basement with a family room (or 4th bedroom), full bathroom, den, utility room & laundry room.
The current owners have maintained and improved this classic home with respectful longevity in mind. This is a home of rare and beautiful distinction, close to Baltimore & Washington, DC, yet a world away.
Front Parlor 25′ x 14′ – Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel & wood stove, built-in bookcases & cabinets, closet, 6 windows.
Dining Room 17′ x 15′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, chair rail, window seat, door to porch, 4 windows.
Kitchen 13′ x 13′ – Ceramic tile floor, recessed lighting, double sink, custom cabinets, back door, 4 windows.
Powder Room – 1 window.
Bedroom 1 14′ x 13′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, 1 closet, 2 windows.
Bedroom 2 14′ x 10′ – Wood floor, 1 closet, 2 windows.
Hall – Stairs to full storage attic, 1 window.
Hall Bathroom 8′ x 5′ – Wood floor, claw bath tub, 1 window.
Master Bedroom 3 14′ x 13′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, 1 closet, 5 windows.
*Master Bathroom 11′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, 2 sinks, bath tub, 2 windows.
Study 13′ x 13′ – Vinyl floor
Family Room (Bedroom 4) 16′ x 12′ – Vinyl floor, recessed lights, panel walls, 1 window.
Utility Room 12′ x 9′ – Concrete floor.
Laundry Room 8′ x 6′ – Concrete floor.
Full Bathroom 6′ x 5′ – Ceramic tile floor, shower.
Staircase to full attic with storage or ready to finish.
(Not A designated historic district with restrictions)
Realty Park is a small early to mid-20th century residential community located in the City of Gaithersburg. The area is bounded by Frederick Road on the west and is comprised of parcels on both the north and south sides of Maryland and Montgomery avenues, and parcels facing the east and west sides of Highland and Oak avenues. It also includes five parcels facing the west side of Russell Avenue that were part of W. Magruder’s Subdivision. All structures within the area are in residential use with the exception of the properties abutting North Frederick Avenue which are in commercial use.
Realty Park was platted in May 1920 on 26 acres of land that Charles Herman Rabbitt sold to the Gaithersburg Realty Company on April 23, 1920. The neighborhood plan consists of two major east-west roads, Maryland and Montgomery avenues, and several smaller streets, Central, Highland, Oak and Prospect avenues. Central Avenue is now just a grassy path, not a paved road. This layout is consistent with the earlier Brookes, Russell and Walker neighborhood to the south. Because the five structures on Russell Avenue that were part of W. Magruder’s Subdivision are of a similar style and era to those in Realty Park, they are included as part of the Realty Park Historic District.
The Realty Park Historic District is comprised of 71 properties. Of the 71 properties, 57 contribute to the district and 14 do not contribute. Structures in Realty Park are smaller in scale when compared to those in Brookes, Russell, and Walker to the south. They are typically frame and two stories tall. The structures represent a wide variety of early to mid-20th century building types and styles including bungalows, Cape Cods, Cotswold cottages and small, frame Colonial Revival buildings. The existence of structures with attached garages on the lower level, particularly along Montgomery Avenue, shows the increasing importance of the automobile to community residents. The streets are lined with mature trees. Lots are a consistent size and houses are set back a consistent distance (~20 feet) from the road.
Gaithersburg was a small rural community in the early 19th century. Commerce did not boom until the coming of the railroad in the late 19th century. Rail service from Gaithersburg was established in September 1872, but the line was not yet complete to Rockville. Regular service of the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad began in May 1873, and the town soon became the commercial hub of central Montgomery County. Commerce shifted from Frederick Avenue to Diamond Avenue near the train station which soon became the hub of town. The town established its own government in 1878. The current train station was built in 1884 on the east side of Summit Avenue, and trains still play a role in Gaithersburg today. The MARC commuter rail line, a successor to the trains run by the B&O, still provides daily commuter service to Washington for the residents of Gaithersburg.
As early as 1887 the railroad was advertising monthly tickets for the 21.5 mile trip from Gaithersburg to Washington. While many commuters settled in towns closer to Washington such as Takoma Park and Kensington, an increasing number of commuters traveled from Gaithersburg. This trend likely precipitated the development of the area known as Brookes, Russell and Walker south of Realty Park but just north of the train station. While this suburban community evolved from a series of subdivisions of land that was added to the city, it has a cohesive architectural style because it was developed over a short period of time.
Central Air Conditioning
Kitchen renovated 1994
Stainless steel chimney flue
Copper Roof 2001
Renovation of 2nd floor bathrooms
Compressor 10-15 years old
HVAC installed 1990’s
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office