The Historic Armagh c.1742
Historic Armagh is a historically significant log home that has been updated and expanded over the years to a spacious and elegant well maintained manor home. Large gourmet kitchen with gas cooktop, a luxurious main-level master-suite – with 2-person Hydrosystems Duo ‘Air Tub’, large walk-in closet, gas fireplace & private deck- separate insulated office building with heat & AC, over-sized 2 car garage w/workshop. Beautifully restored & renovated, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction, close to Baltimore & DC, yet a world away.
Living Room 22′ x 16′ – Wood floor, sculpted stone vent-less gas fireplace (no flue), exposed log wall, closet, front door, stairs to second floor, 4 windows.
Dining Room 15′ x 15′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, sliding glass door to deck, bay window, 4 windows.
Kitchen 17′ x 15′ – Wood floor, granite center island, granite counters, custom cabinets, recessed lighting, stainless steel appliances, gas cook top, pot filler over the stove, garden window over sink.
Powder Room 6′ x 3′ – Ceramic tile floor, pocket door, granite counter, custom cabinets, 1 window.
Butler Pantry 13′ x 6′ – Wood floor, wood ceiling, recessed lighting, granite counter, deep sink, custom cabinets, wood wall paneling, 1 window.
Pantry 12′ x 7′ – Wood floor, granite counters, custom cabinets.
Laundry Room 8′ x 7′ – Wood floor, custom cabinets.
Master Suite 21′ x 16′ – Wood floor, sculpted stone vent-less gas fireplace (no flue), recessed lighting, ceiling fan, pocket door, French doors to private deck, 2 windows.
*Master Walk-In Closet 14′ x 8′ – Wood floor, tract lighting, ceiling fan, custom dressers, cabinets & shelving.
**Sink Area 6′ x 4′ – Ceramic tile floor, double sink, granite counter, custom cabinets, pocket door.
**Commode Room 5′ x 3′ – Ceramic tile floor, pocket door.
**Bathing Area 13′ x 7′ – Ceramic tile floor, recessed lighting, shower, 2-person Hydrosystems Duo ‘Air Tub’, heated towel rack, pocket door, 1 window.
Bedroom 2 16′ x 15′ – Wood floor, exposed log walls, 1 closet, door to attic, 3 windows.
*Office/Sitting Room 12′ x 11′ – Carpet, exposed log wall, built-in bookcase, 1 window.
Hall Bathroom 10′ x 5′ – Ceramic tile floor, granite counter, ceramic tile half-wall, bathtub.
Bedroom 3 16′ x 15′ – Carpet, window seat with storage, 2 closets, 6 windows.
Bedroom 4 14′ x 10′ – Carpet, 1 closet, 2 windows.
Family Room 27′ x 25′ – Vinyl plank floor, sculpted stone vent-less gas fireplace (no flue), rough-in electric and lighting for future kitchen or wet
bar, recessed lighting, track lighting, 2 windows.
Bathroom 7′ x 7′ – Vinyl plank floor, granite counter, shower, 1 window.
Storeroom 13 x 6′ – Concrete floor.
Utility Room 15′ x 10′ – Concrete floor.
Fixed stairs & perfect for storage
Office Building 28′ x 12′ – Fully insulated, heated, air conditioned, electricity, carpet, cable, 4 windows.
Over-sized 2 car detached garage & 28′ x 12′ workshop.
Oil Heat – Furnace is in the basement
Propane Heat – 3 vent-less fireplaces
Heat Pumps – Electric
*Each system was designed to heat the whole house on its own. The systems can be used or combined in a manner that is most economical, based on the current fuel costs.
In 1742 Nicholas Sauer a native of Armagh, Ireland received his patent for the lease of a 100 acre tract in the Upper Node Forest of Baltimore County, from Lord Baltimore, the Proprietary of Maryland. He named his newly patented property Armagh. He promptly built a house on the property – 16’X31’, 2 story, 2 room, chestnut log house with a basement. He was a tobacco farmer and had rented these wide open fields specifically for that purpose. As an added bonus, the southern boundary of Armagh ran along a local tobacco rolling road with York, Pennsylvania on one end and Baltimore, Maryland on the other.
How long he farmed tobacco is unknown. He did re-rent his land to James Finley who began farming the land, paying the rents and living in the house. Finley also re-rented and began farming a neighboring piece of property called “Sauer’s Refuge” 39 acres (originally rented to Joseph Butler), to the south across the road. It is interesting to note that up until the establishment of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1767 these properties were, sometimes, in York Co., PA. Deeds for some surrounding properties were found recorded in the York County Court House.
On March 22, 1774 Harford County was created from the eastern part of Baltimore County with a population of 13,000 people.
After the original 13 colonies created and signed the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union in 1781 (Maryland was the last to sign), the proprietary colony of Maryland (soon to be a State) started confiscating British owned land. Since the Lords Baltimore had never sold their land, only rented it, the newly formed State of Maryland became the owner of all their land which constituted all of Maryland. To raise money for the new State, they auctioned off this once British owned land. In the Baltimore and Harford County area, the auctions were held at Slade’s Tavern in October 1782. James Finley bought the two pieces of land (Armagh, 100 acres, and Sauers’ Refuge, 39 acres). Land that he had been paying rent, living on, and farming for many years (citizens who had been living, working, and paying rents on the land had first right of refusal for the property going up for auction). In addition, James bought the unowned land between his two pieces for a total of 164 ¾ acres. He received his patent 13 years later in 1795 and named his property “Honesty is the Best Policy”.
In 1804 James died. His wife, Jane, occupied the place until she got too old to farm it and gave it to her children. Only one daughter, Margaret, was still in Maryland, the rest were living in Ohio. When their mother, Jane, died in 1819 the children sold ‘Honesty is the Best Policy’ to Francis Grupy, businessman tanner of Havre de Grace and Baltimore.
Grupy did not farm. He used the land to harvest and burn big piles of wood, covered in a thick layer of dirt, to create coke and tannic acid for his tanning businesses in Baltimore and Havre de Grace. Some of his employees lived in the house.
Bankruptcy and divorces cost Grupy everything he had. He asked Henry D. Farnandis, Esquire, Attorney at Law to sell all of his real estate in Harford County and pay his debts. He deeded over all of these real estate holdings to Farnandis. Grupy could still use each of piece property until it was sold. The money went to pay Grupy’s debts and provide ‘support and maintenance’ to him during his lifetime.
Frederick Deets acquired the property in 1844 and made the most changes to the land and the house. He and his family owned it for 63 years.
Frederick sold 30 Acres of Honesty to Mark Stengle on February 8, 1848 (HDG Liber 34, Folio 92) and used the proceeds to put an addition on the house. This first addition was applied to the south side of the Nicholas Sauer house and stuck out to the west from the area the original house and the addition looked like a backwards L. It was two story, 17’ wide by 22’ long, made with 8”and 10’, flat sided, adz cut chestnut logs. The logs are exposed in the current house and you can see how the addition was added and changed over the years. It was built to be a kitchen, it is currently the living room. The door into it from the original house is currently behind the plaster at the foot of the steps. On the second floor a similar door from the original house is exposed in the back bedroom closet.
Frederick died in 1769 and left everything by will to his family. His son Samuel got all of the land on the north side of the road, about 115 1/ 2 acres.
About 1780 or so Samuel put the second addition on the house. It was built by his brother George using 2” x 4” rough-hewn oak studs and 10” floor and ceiling rafters. Two stories with a bay window on each floor.
|Boundary||Located and marked every property corner.|
|Kitchen Floor||Replaced an 18” closet door with a 3’ louvered door on guest closet, uncovering in the process a hardwood floor in hallway and kitchen. Cleaned two layers of tar paper and linoleum and 5/8 pressed wood sheathing. Hired a contractor to sand and polyurethane the hall and kitchen.|
|Oct. 1987||Water Treatment System||Well water tested. Water treatment system installed.|
|Nov. 1989||Removed the stairs to attic in bay window bedroom to make closet for that bedroom and the small bedroom in the back.|
|May 1990||12’x 28’ Shed #1||Purchased a 12’x28’ shed for tools and yard equipment. Built a stone and 8”x8”x12’ sled type foundation for it in the back yard. This building has been moved twice. It was moved from the back yard to replace the ‘Office’ building when it was moved to beside the house. The second time (2005) it was placed on a permanent foundation behind the new garage and incorporated into it.|
|May 1990||12’x 28’ Shed #2||Purchased another 12’x28’ shed with double insulated floor, to make an office, finished and insulated inside, windows, door, heat, air conditioned, electric, tv cable, etc. Built a stone and 8”x8”x12’ sled type foundation for it in the front yard next to the old garage. This building was subsequently moved to a similar foundation on the east side of the house where it is today.|
|July 1991||Insulation||Insulated the whole house with spray-in insulation. This stuff has been replaced little by little.|
|July 1992||Replaced ceiling of living room and 2nd floor hardwood floor. Replaced electric cables.|
|June 1993||Vinyl House Siding||Installed Tyvek and vinyl siding on the house over the asbestos shingles.|
|Aug. 1994||Removed the log chinking in the 2nd floor bedroom and sitting room, insulated between logs. Hired a contractor to install vinyl chinking.|
|New Oil Tank||Purchased and had installed a new 500 gal oil tank. The two 250 gal oil tanks were leaking. The soil was tested, removed and replaced.|
|Oct. 1998||New Septic System||Installed a new septic system.|
|Nov. 1999||Built the window seat in the bay window bedroom.|
|Jan. 2001||New Roof||Roofing contractor removed the slate shingles (now piled next to driveway in front yard), put 5/8″ roofing over the original 1” chestnut roofing boards, then 30 lb. felt, then lifetime shingles. Also built knee walls in the attic.|
|Brick Sidewalk||Hired contractor to build the brick sidewalk from house to driveway.|
|Feb. 2001||Front Yard Gardens||landscape, hardscape front garden (2 separate landscapers)|
|May 2001||Sliding Glass Door||Installed a good grade sliding glass door in dining room|
|Jan. 2002||Installed a drywall ceiling with acoustical backing in the dining room; new carpet, new wallpaper|
|Jan. 2002||Driveway Improvement||Removed planter, graded and spread and compacted 6” crusher-run gravel base|
|June 2002||New Roof on Office||Replaced roof shingles on office building, painted the building, added the cupola.|
|July 2002||Decks||Built the deck off the dining room and the deck on the ‘Office’.|
|June 2004||Replacement Windows||7 – 1st level front windows, bay windows, and a new front door|
|March 2005||New Garage||Removed old garage, graded site, built the garage, moved shed to back of garage.|
|Sep. 2005||Paved Driveway||Paved the driveway.|
|July 2006||Replaced Gutters||Replaced gutters, removed old wood behind facias and sofits|
|Dec 2009||Living Room Remodel||removed damaged floor from fireplace, replaced floor joists, replace rotten log, dug out under living room, installed new hard wood flooring, fix rear window and wall. Removed plaster and lath from all walls in living room; removed all chinking and daubing; cleaned logs with wire brushes; oiled logs; installed 2×6 studs in front wall; hired a contractor to spray urethane solid core insulation between logs and studs; hired a contractor to install vinyl chinking; bought a 45000btu propane fireplace and had it installed in living room; built the mantel; had hardwood floors sanded, stained, and urethaned; cleaned and painted.|
All information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office