Historic Lucky Pines c.1930
This is a gorgeous modern conversion of a c.1930 bank barn into an elegant residence on 5+ acres in Hampstead, Maryland. Built on the c.1850 original barn foundation, on the grounds of the historic Isaac Hoffman House & Paper Mill c.1850 (mill was demolished in 1928), this inspired renovation includes a gourmet kitchen with center island & Jenn-air cook top, a spacious main level master suite with a luxurious master bathroom & gas fireplace, a great room with exposed beams & 15′ ceiling, vintage wood floors, Anderson windows throughout, and an open and airy design with second floor overlooks. Beautifully sited on a landscaped private lot, with coy pond, mature woods, pastoral views, and bordered by farmland & the Patapsco River, this is an extraordinary “one of a kind” property. An expansive deck, charming garden shed & a 2 story 2 car garage complete this unique buying opportunity.
Beautifully restored & renovated by the architects Lavere and Judy Grimes during their ownership from 1982-2004, and then continued by the current owners, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction, close to Baltimore & DC, yet a world away.
*Located in Hampstead, Maryland, the town one media organization called – “#1 of the 10 Best Places To Live In Maryland For 2018”
Mud Room 7′ x 5′ – Brick floor, hanging lamp, 2 window seats w/storage, 2 windows.
Entry Foyer 16′ x 10′ – Ceramic tile floor, exposed wood beam ceiling, closet, stairs to basement, stairs to second floor, luxury wood front door.
Great Room 24′ x 16′ – Wood floor, exposed wood beams, wood stove, partial brick wall, wood paneled 14′ ceiling, ceiling fan, 4 windows.
Dining Room 15′ x 12′ – Wood floor, track lighting, exposed wood beams, clothes pegs, 2 windows.
Kitchen 15′ x 14′ – Ceramic tile floor, ceramic tile center island with down-draft Jenn-Air electric cook top, stainless steel appliances, granite counters, custom cabinets, double sink, exposed wood beams.
Breakfast Room 15′ x 9′ – Ceramic tile floor, hanging lamp, built-in cabinets, granite counters, wood paneled ceiling, 3 windows.
Sun Room 15′ x 15′ – Ceramic tile floor, wood paneled walls, ceiling fan, door to deck, 9 windows.
Laundry Room 15′ x 10′ – Ceramic tile floor, closet, pantry, exposed wood beams, vintage sink, recessed lighting, 1 window.
Hall Bathroom 9′ x 7′ – Wood floor, bath tub, closet, wood paneled ceiling, 1 window.
Master Suite 23′ x 16′ – Wood floor & carpet, exposed wood beam ceiling, walk-in closet, 2 windows.
*Master Bathroom 14′ x 13′ – Ceramic tile floor, exposed wood beam 12′ ceiling, ceiling fan, stone gas fireplace, recessed lighting, Whirlpool tub, ceramic tile 5′ x 5′ shower, granite counters, commode room w/wainscot, Sanyo AC wall unit, French doors to deck, 5 windows.
Family Room 22′ x 15′ – Carpet, ceiling fan, track lighting, wood paneled walls, 2 closets, built-in bookcases, Great Room overlook, 4 windows.
Bedroom 2 13′ x 9′ – Wood floor, wood paneled walls, wainscot, closet, 2 windows.
Hallway – Carpet, 2 closets, Great Room overlook.
Hall Bathroom 11′ x 8′ – Ceramic tile floor, wainscot, shower, 1 window.
Bedroom 3 12′ x 12′ – Wood floor, built-in shelving, ceiling fan, 2 closets, 1 window.
Bedroom 4 13′ x 11′ – Carpet, ceiling fan, closet, 2 windows.
Store Room 23′ x 21′ – wood floor, closet, 2 windows.
Work Shop 20′ x 14′ – Concrete floor, 1/2 bathroom, door to porch, 1 window.
Fixed stairs & perfect for storage
Garden Shed – 8′ x 8′
2 car detached, 2 story garage – 24′ x 22′
• Alarm system
• Kitchen & breakfast room:
— Replaced counter top with Granite
— Replaced computer panel board in oven
— Added new Instant hot water dispenser on sink
— New light fixture
— Removed wallpaper
— Freshly painted
— New stainless steel refrigerator and dishwasher
• Plantation shutters throughout
• New tile floor in entrance way, laundry room, kitchen, breakfast room…
• Painted dinning room & living room
• Added 6 high hats lighting in living room
• New lights in entrance hall
• New front door
• Added plumbing in laundry room to add 100 yr. old farm sink
• New Anderson windows throughout the house
• Also new windows in the sun room
• Added storm door in sun room
• Added heating system to make sun room year-round room
• New addition with Master Bathroom off Master Bedroom
• Other 2 bathrooms completely updated with top a the line finishes
• Upstairs replaced carpet
• Replaced doors in front of barn with original barn Dutch doors
• Freshly painted workshop
• Replaced decks with trex
• Added direct hook up for generator
• Added front porch with storage boxes for shoes & boots storage
• Added “gutter helmet” to gutters
The history of paper manufacturing in Maryland has its beginnings in the activities of the Hoffman family of Baltimore County. William Hoffman was a paper maker in Frankfurt-on-the-main, Germany before emigrating to Pennsylvania. He rented and operated a paper mill outside of Philadelphia for several years and, in 1775, he moved to Maryland and established-its first paper manufacture on the Great Gunpowder Falls. He provided paper to the Continental Congress during the American Revolution. In 1781, he expanded his operations by establishing a second paper mill, the Gunpowder Mill, near his original Clipper Mill. His five sons and several grandchildren were all involved in the paper making business extending through a number of mill properties throughout northern Baltimore County.
After William Hoffman’s death, the Clipper Mill passed onto his second son Christian, who was the father of Isaac. Christian ran the Clipper Mill until his early death in 1833. Isaac, who was born in 1813, was able to purchase his own paper mill in Baltimore County in 1836. In 1848, he sold this property and moved to the East Branch of the Patapsco Falls near Houcksville in Carroll County. This is where he built his large stone house, which is the only remaining Hoffman family home because the Baltimore County properties were innumdated with the construction of Prettyboy Dam.
After Isaac Hoffman’s death, the mill was operated for several years by his son James Conrad Hoffman. It was then sold to George Keller who is shown on the 1877 Illustrated Atlas of Carroll County as mill operator and store owner. It passed through several families during the early 20th century until it was purchased in 1928 by Dr. Maurice E. Shamer, a Baltimore physician.
At that time, the mill was in a deteriorated condition and was torn down shortly thereafter. Other outbuildings on the property at that time included a spring house (milk and meat house), corn crib, hog pen, tenant house and bank barn. The original bank barn burned in a fire in the mid-twentieth century. Dr. Shamer sold the property in 1967 and it passed through two families until 1980 when the present owners purchased the house and began the process of restoring it.
The precise origins of Hampstead are not completely clear. One history dates the beginning of the town to 1737, when Benjamin Richards had a 50 acre tract surveyed in what was then Baltimore County, which he named Spring Garden (Tracey 1974). However, a second history states that Hampstead occupies parts of two patents, Spring Garden, which it said was patented to Dustane Dane in 1748, and Landorff (Scharf 1882:891). In 1737, the Baltimore County Court ordered a road cleared from Hanover, Pennsylvania to a house well south of what is today Hampstead, known as the Baltimore-Hanover Road. This was present-day Carroll County’s first public road and is approximated by MD 30, which runs through the center of present-day Hampstead (Kurtze 1980).
Settlers of English extraction came to the area in the middle eighteenth century, including Christopher Vaughan in 1759 (Tracey 1974). In 1786, Vaughan recorded a plat of 16 quarter-acre lots along each side of the Baltimore-Hanover Road, which he named Spring Garden (Scharf 1882:891; Warner et al. 1976:34). The linear layout of the lots on each side of the road was very typical of towns in Maryland’s Piedmont region northwest of Baltimore. The same pattern was replicated on a larger scale in the community of Manchester, located a short distance to the north of Hampstead on the Baltimore-Hanover Road (Brown 1996), as well as in Taneytown (Getty and Kurtze 1986:14). Vaughan initially leased the lots, including more than half to members of the Cox family, providing the area the nickname “Coxes Town”…
Hampstead, Maryland – #1 of 10 Best Towns to Live in Maryland for 2018
Isaac Hoffman Paper Mill – Maryland Historical Trust
Hampstead, Maryland – The Town Website
Hampstead Historic District – Maryland Historical Trust
Property Boundaries – GOOGLE view
All information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office