Searching Inventory...

14509 Church Street, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Maryland

SOLD

Single Family Home3 Bedrooms2 Bathrooms1 Half Bathrooms2,950 SqftPool: None

Property Details

  • SOLD
  • Property Type: Single Family Home
  • MLS Number: PG9734434
  • Pool: None
  • Bedrooms: 3
  • Stories: 2
  • Bathrooms: 2
  • Garage: 2
  • Property Status: Sold
  • Half Bathrooms: 1
  • Acreage: 0.77
  • Square Footage: 2,950
  • Year Built: 1830
  • Request a Private Showing

      SOLD – Happy Seller Says:
      “Gary, Thanks so much! Thanks for all the good work in selling our house.”

      Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830
      This significant historic home is located in the Upper Marlboro Historic District with easy access to downtown DC and Annapolis. The current owners have taken pride in their stewardship and preserved the historic detailing, while updating the home with modern amenities that include a spacious gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a large master suite with a luxurious bathroom, state of the art, high velocity air conditioning system and much more. The grounds back to woods and include a recently constructed barn, 2 car garage and a charming fenced herb garden with stone walkways.
      Steeped in early Upper Marlboro history, the original part of the house likely dates to 1817. It was purchased in 1843, by the master carpenter, Reuben Bunnell, who would build several of the surrounding homes and who also, along with his son, constructed additions to this home, in 1860 & 1885. The Bunnell family lived in the home until 1907.
      Preserved for nearly 2 centuries by caring stewards, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction.

      Rooms

      First Floor
      Front Parlor 23′ x 15′ – Wood floor, exposed wood beam ceiling, wood stove, built-in bookcases, closet, 2 hanging lamps, stairs to second floor bedroom, 4 windows.
      Hall 15′ x 6′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, door to laundry room, door to side porch, stairs to second floor.
      Rear Parlor 15′ x 12′ – Wood floor, wainscot, decorative fireplace with wood mantel, crown molding, 3 windows.
      Dining Room 18′ x 13′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, crown molding, door to screen porch, 4 windows.
      Powder Room – Wood floor.
      Kitchen 18′ x 16′ – Wood floor, granite counters, center island, LG stainless steel dishwasher, LG stainless steel refrigerator, GE stainless steel 5 burner electric range, pantry, hanging lamps & track lighting, 2 windows.
      Sun Room 23′ x 13′ – Carpet, side door, French doors to patio, 10 windows.

      Second Floor 
      Master Bedroom 19′ x 18′ – Wood floor, walk-in closet, closet, hanging lamp, built-in bookcases, 3 windows.
      Master Bathroom 20′ x 19′ – Wood floor, claw foot tub, double shower, commode room, dressing/makeup room, built-in shelving, hanging lamps, closet, 13 windows.
      Hall 16′ x 7′ – Wood floor.
      Hall Bathroom – Ceramic tile floor, bath tub, wainscot, 1 window.
      Bedroom 2 16′ x 11′ – Wood floor, 3 windows.
      Bedroom 3 23′ x 15′ – Wood floor, 1 closet, 5 windows.

      Additional Amenities

      2 Car Garage
      Stone Patio
      Vintage Shed
      Fenced Herb Garden
      New Barn

      Improvements

      Installed high velocity A/C
      Remodeled Kitchen
      Remodeled Master Bath
      Remodeled Library
      Installed stone patio
      Added garden and fence
      Created utility room
      New barn
      *Total cost of current owner improvements is approximately $178,000.

      Illustrated Inventory of Historic Sites and Districts, Prince George’s County, Maryland

      Built in 1830, this vernacular single-family dwelling was enlarged in three phases spanning 160 years. A dwelling, owned by John Duckett, was sited on this lot as early as 1817; possibly it was incorporated into the present main block. In 1843, the property was transferred to Reuben Bunnell. Bunnell was a carpenter and built several other houses nearby. The house reflects four different periods of building construction and is significant as an example of the progression of a rural, nineteenth-century house. Later in the twentieth century it was owned by the Anderson family.
      more…

      Bunnell-Anderson House Description – Maryland Historical Trust

      Constructed c. 1830, this vernacular two ­story, three­ bay single ­family dwelling was enlarged in three phases spanning 160 years. The dwelling originally had an I-­house form and is now composed of a two­ story main block that faces eastward, fronting Valley Lane. The wood­ frame dwelling’s original wood weatherboard siding has been replaced with vinyl siding. Set on a solid brick foundation that has been parged, the main block is capped by a side­ gable roof of asphalt shingles. The roof is finished with overhanging eaves and a boxed cornice. An interior­ end brick chimney rises from the south (side) elevation and has a corbeled cap. The northernmost opening of the first story of the façade (east elevation) serves as the entry bay and contains a replacement, single­leaf, paneled wood door with lights. The central and southern bays contain 6/6, wood­ sash windows with vinyl­ clad surrounds. The second story of the façade is pierced by three openings, each containing a 6/6, wood­ sash window with vinyl­ clad surrounds and louvered vinyl shutters. The first story of the façade is sheltered by a one­ story, full­ width porch, which is set on a solid parged foundation. The shed roof of the porch is covered with asphalt shingles and is supported by square wood posts. The roof is completed with overhanging eaves and exposed rafter ends. The south elevation features one opening on the first and second stories, each containing a 6/6, wood­ sash window with vinyl­ clad surrounds and louvered vinyl shutters.
      more…

      Chain of Title

      The Bunnell-Anderson House was constructed c. 1830 at 14509 Church Street in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, when the property was owned by Alexius and Sarah Wood. A dwelling, owned by John Duckett, was sited on this lot as early as 1817 and it is possible that it was incorporated into the present main block of the dwelling. In 1822, the property was conveyed to Alexius and Sarah Wood. In 1843, the property was transferred to Reuben Bunnell, a carpenter. Bunnell and his son are most likely responsible for the two additions added to the house in c. 1850 and c. 1885. The property stayed in the Bunnell family until 1907. The Anderson family owned the property from 1947 until 1998.

      Upper Marlboro Historic District

      Upper Marlboro, established in 1706 and designated the county seat in 1721, retains a collection of distinctive residential property types constructed between the early 18th century and the mid 20th century. Commercial development largely occurred around the government buildings located in the center of town, and the majority of residential development occurred outside the town center, to the west and north. The residential development that occurred outside the town center, to the west and north. The residential development that occurred in Upper Marlboro directly resulted from the town’s designation as a county seat in the 18th century and its continuance in that role to the present day. Furthermore, Upper Marlboro’s importance as a political, economic, social, and cultural center during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries influenced the construction of residential dwellings by citizens who desired to be within close proximity of the bustling town. The history of the Town of Upper Marlboro Residential Area is directly related to the history of Upper Marlboro as the center of the political, commercial, and social life for Prince George’s County. The district is historically significant for its association with community planning and development, as a notable collection of residential buildings that reflects development over time, from the 18th through the 20th centuries.
      more…

      Links

      Maryland Historical Trust – Inventory of Historic Properties
      Prince Georges County Historic – Historic Sites Inventory
      Description & Significance – Price George’s County Historic Site Summary Sheet
      Upper Marlboro Historic District – National Register of Historic Places
      Map – Upper Marlboro Historic District
      Upper Marboro – Town website

      Contact Me

      Gary Gestson
      Certified Historic Properties Specialist
      Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
      189 Kentlands Blvd.
      Gaithersburg, MD 20878
      gary@HistoricHomeTeam.com
      301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office
      301-646-0046 Mobile

      Print Friendly, PDF & Email

    Gary Gestson

    Follow us on Twitter

    Language Translator