SOLD - Happy Seller Says:
"Thanks again for your support and assistance over an extended period. We’re happy to give you a recommendation any time should you need it with possible sellers in our area. Good luck to you."
Historic Long Meadows c.1775
Long Meadows is considered by many to be one of the most important historic estates in estate rich Washington County. Built in 3 stages on one of the earliest land grants in the county, this home grew as its subsequent owners became more affluent. From the intimate c.1775 section with its thick stone walls, historic detail and modern amenities, to the impressive 1840's brick Greek Revival section with high ceilings, grand entry hall and spacious rooms, and finished with a 1908, Y.E. Yessler designed addition that compliments the 1840's section and connects to the original c.1775 stone structure. One of the finest colonial manor homes in Maryland, Long Meadows has been carefully restored by the current owners. Nestled on a landscaped 4 acre lot, surrounded by farm land with gorgeous views of South Mountain, this 8 bedroom manor home represents a truly historic opportunity at stewardship of the highest order. Steeped in history that includes visits by Washington, Jefferson & Braddock, as well as, colorful owners like Colonial Thomas Cressap, the notorious Maryland partisan, Long Meadows offers us a portal to a past life that exists in every sensitive soul. The turn of a sculpted key in a carpenter lock follows the same motion as a hundred hands before and the tread of a heel on a pine plank produces the same sound as century ago. Long Meadows offers a buyer the unique opportunity to become a part of the continuum of history.
Brief History by Pat Schooley
During the eighteenth century, a one-room stone cottage was built at Long Meadow, and, a little later, another room was added. Later, a 2 story frame segment was added to this. The imposing brick Greek Revival section of the house was probably built by Dr. Ragan about 1840. This is, in effect, half a house. It consists of a broad center hall, going from the elevated front entrance through to the back of the house, and 2 rooms on each floor that are beyond this hall. This section of the house was fairly easy to date because the doors were fitted with large, iron & brass locks made in England by the Carpenter Company. Carpenter locks were imprinted on the keeper with the ompany name and, beneath that, initials indicating the reigning monarch - in this case, WR. William IV reigned from 1830 to 1837. This elegant brick wing was attached to the frame segment, which had no particular architectural distinction. more
1840 Section - Greek Revival Brick Walls
Center Hall 26'x11' - Wood floor, staircase, hanging lamp, front & rear doors.
Library 18' x 17' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, built in bookcases, 3 large windows, double 8'x4' solid doors to Music Room.
Music Room 18' x 18' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, 2 large windows.
Second Floor Foyer 11' x 10' - Wood floor, linen closet.
Bedroom 1 18' x 14' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, closet, 2 dormer windows, one side window, door transom, wall sconces, picture rail.
Bedroom 2 19' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, closet, 2 dormer windows, one side window, door transom.
Hall Bathroom 13'x11' - Wood floor, vintage commode, shower, claw foot tub, door transom.
Basement - Storage
1908 Section - Designed by H.E. Yessler to compliment the 1840 section
Living Room 18'x18' - Wood floor, fireplace with ornate wood mantel, picture rail, 2 large windows, pocket doors to dining room.
Dining Room 18' x 18' - Wood floor, fireplace (bricked closed) with wood mantel, chandelier, corner cupboards.
Vintage Kitchen (catering kitchen) 18' x 6' - Wood floor, vintage sink, stove, refrigerator, cupboards & counter.
Powder Room - Wood floor, off living room.
Bedroom 3 19' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, picture rail, wall sconces, door transom, 2 dormer windows, closet, sitting room (10'x6'), hall to older section.
Bedroom 4 18'x14' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, door transom, door to bathroom, connecting door to bedroom 1, 2 closets, 2 dormer windows, sitting room (15'x11'), hall to older section.
Basement - Storage
1775 Section - Original Structure
Kitchen 18'x17' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, custom cabinets, hanging lamp.
Family Room 18'x12' - Wood floor, fireplace, custom walnut wood paneling, 2 glass display cases, closet, stairs to 2nd floor.
Sun Room 18'x12' - (Enclosed porch) Painted wood floor, exposed stone wall, 5 windows, back door.
Laundry/Powder Room 8'x6' - Painted wood floor, vintage corner sink.
Bedroom 5 15'x10' - Wood floor, storage area, 2 6/6 windows
Bedroom 6 15'x10' - Wood floor, closet, 2 6/6 windows, built in bookcases.
Bedroom 7 18'x12' - Wood floor, 2 closets.
Bedroom 8 13'x8' - Wood floor, closet, 1 6/6 window.
Hall Bath 14'x6' - Ceramic tile floor, tub, 1 6/6 window, closet.
One of the earliest land grants in Washington County.
1739 - Colonel Thomas Cresap settled at Long Meadows, then 500 acres. A fierce Maryland partisan, called "the monster of Maryland" by his Pennsylvania adversaries, Cresap built a log and stone fort to protect one of the earliest settlements in Washington County.
1746 - Cresap deeded Long Meadows to Daniel Dulaney ( Maryland's first Attorney General ) in to repay a $500 loan that Cressap used to start a business; the business failed when the French captured a shipment of furs bound for England. Cresap moved to Oldtown. Daniel Dulaney increased the tract to 2,131 acres.
1763 - Colonel Henry Bouquet (a British Army officer in the French and Indian War) purchased Long Meadows and increased the tract to over 4,000 acres. Colonel Bouquet is renown for having establishing a major east-west road through western Pennsylvania by defeating Indian Chief Pontiac in the Battle of Bushey Run. Letters from George Washington to Bouquet.
1773 - General Joseph Sprigg, who fought in the Revolutionary War bought Long Meadows after several other owners had sold off much of the land.
1779 - Samuel Hughes, owner of Mount Aetna Furnace and a member of the Maryland Legislature bought Long Meadows. Hughes played a significant role in having the county named for George Washington.
1789 - Colonel Thomas Hart bought Long Meadows. Hart was a wealthy merchant and partner of the founder of Rochester, New York, Nathanial Rochester. Lucretia Hart, daughter of - Col. Hart, married statesman Henry Clay.
1794 - Thomas Hall, a government tax collector, bought Long Meadows. Mr. Hall absconded with government money and the Federal Government took the property.
1831 - Dr. Richard Regan, bought Long Meadows at public auction.
1887 - William Young of Baltimore bought Long Meadows, which stayed in the Young family until 1974 when the Moylans purchased it, with 4 acres.
Information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.
Historical Marker - Long Meadow Hsitorical Marker
National Register of Historic Places - Long Meadows
Maryland Historical Trust - Long Meadows
Maryland Monster - Thomas Cresap (1694-1787)
Thomas Cresap - The Cresaps of Maryland
Thomas Cresap and Maryland’s Colonial Frontier - National Park Service
Herald-Mail - Historic Long Meadows Property For Sale for $1.25M (Don Aines - August 2, 2012)
Click and drag the orange silhouette in the top left corner of the map to activate Google Maps Street View.