This storybook Historic Carpenter Gothic-Style home in desirable Montgomery County Maryland is close to parks, shopping & entertainment. Located in the charming Gaithersburg Historic District, this home is a tribute to a bygone era and beautifully preserved, while enjoying a gourmet kitchen and modern bathrooms. With original historic detailing, wood floors, a spacious screened back porch and large landscaped lot, this gorgeous 3 bedroom, 2 bath home presents a rare opportunity for a buyer who is interested in stewardship and a historic community. This home was built 110 years ago and each family maintained and improved the home with its respectful longevity in mind.
The current owners are avid gardeners. There are many varieties of plantings on this beautifully landscaped nearly 1/2 acre lot.
This is a home of rare and beautiful distinction, minutes from shopping, schools & entertainment, and close to Baltimore & Washington, DC, yet a world away.
Entry Hall 21' x 7' - Laminate Flooring, 1 window.
Front Parlor 20' x 12' - Carpet, 4 windows.
Dining Room 17' x 14' - Carpet, hanging lamp, 3 windows.
Kitchen 13' x 12' - Laminate flooring, quartz counters, ceramic tile back-splash, recessed lights, hanging lamp, center island, Kenmore Elite refrigerator, Kenmore Elite 5 burner gas range, Kenmore Elite dishwasher, custom cabinets, 1 window.
Mud Room/Pantry 10' x 9' - Laminate flooring, built-in cabinets, 2 windows, door to laundry/bathroom, door to porch.
Laundry/Full Bathroom 8' x 6' - Ceramic tile floor, shower, stackable front loading washer & dryer, 1 window.
Bedroom 1 13' x 9' - Wood floor, walk-in closet, 8 windows.
Bedroom 2 17' x 10' - Wood floor, 2 closets, 2 windows.
Bedroom 3 20' x 11' - Carpet, 2 closets, 3 windows.
Hall Bathroom 8' x 8' - Ceramic tile floor, wainscot, bath tub, 1 window.
Walker Ave. is named after Gaithersburg farmer and city leader John Wesley Walker, and is located on his former farmland. In 1904 he subdivided the front pasture making new lots on either side of the dirt road. He was the third Mayor of Gaithersburg, serving from 1906 to 1908, during the time this and other houses were built on the street. The road was further extended by his son-in-law Walter Magruder (Mayor from 1924 to 1926), who eventually transferred the remaining farmland to the group that became Asbury Methodist Village. Rev. J. Judson Ringer was appointed the first Superintendent of this organization in 1923, and he lived at 16 Walker as the first buildings were being built there. When a home was available for him he relocated there in 1926. The original Walker farmhouse was moved to Prospect St. a few blocks away. Three other Gaithersburg Mayors lived on Walker, so it became the street of Mayors (Milton Walker grew up in 11 Walker, Harry Perry owned 18 Walker and Ed Bohrer lived for a time in 11 Walker).
The first owners, Charles and Ida Mansfield liked building houses. They built a house in Germantown in 1901, then moved to Walker Ave. in 1906/7. They built 26 Walker Ave. and moved there in 1913. That house is under construction in the church tower photo. The physical building of the house was done by Ignatius Ward, who purchased and lived in 18 Walker, and built several homes on the street.
Lawrence and Arlene Darby had been living next door at 14 Walker with Lawrence’s parents, and were happy to have a home of their own when they moved to 16 Walker in 1926. They lived in the house until 1986, and were responsible for building the rear addition sometime in the 1930s and adding most of the utilities. Walker was the first street in town to get electricity by 1913, but running water wasn’t available until 1926. When it became available, people quickly replaced their outhouses and pumps with indoor bathrooms. Homes were originally heated with coal, either a furnace in the basement or grates in chimneys in several locations. Basements were enlarged, and radiators installed as a major upgrade. The house is named the Ringer-Darby House after its early famous occupant and its long term residents.
Each lot was designed to be large enough to graze one cow, which explains the long narrow lot size. Agriculture blended with city living and people had chickens and large vegetable gardens.
Gen. Jubal Early marched down what is now Maryland 355 in the Civil War, commandeering lodging at the nearby Summit Hall Farm, which is now a city park and aquatic facility.
The subdivisions and structures within the boundaries of the Brookes, Russell, and Walker Historic District reflect Gaithersburg's initial optimism after 1873 to become a booming railroad suburb of Washington D.C., and an agricultural supply center and railhead. The many proposed rail lines linking Gaithersburg to other cities were not built, dampening the town's opportunities. Gaithersburg's subsequent slow but steady growth as a self-sufficient, closely-knit small community is reflected in the history of these subdivisions. The District has retained its integrity as a Late to Post-Victorian neighborhood, presenting virtually the same appearance for the past 50 years while surrounding areas have changed radically.
History and Support
The population of Gaithersburg and environs around 1800 was about 141 persons, primarily engaged in agriculture and service to travellers along the Georgetown-Frederick Road. The Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad opened on May 25, 1873, bringing immediate economic and community growth. The town was incorporated in 1878, and nearly doubled its original size by annexation ten years later in 1888, the same year that Reister Russell and Thomas B. Brookes requested the town to open new roads in their proposed subdivision. The town's position on the Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad plus discussion to link it by rail to other locals generated high optimism for the town's future.
On July 5, 1888, land was purchased from the Fulks-DeSellum family, and a turning wye constructed. With the wye and double tracking, Gaithersburg became the terminus of the local line.
1906 Charles & Ida Mansfield
1913 Laura Woodfield
1923 J. Judson & M. Josie Ringer
1926 Lawrence & Arlene Darby
1986 Michael & Jean Bonner
1988 Jean Bonner
1989 James Taylor
1989 Robert & Cathy Drzyzgula
The data collectors for this census did not record addresses with the information, so one has to start with an address with a known resident and guess which way they walked down the street before and after that house. I think the house assignments are correct, but to be sure they should be verified against deeds or some other record.
Numbers immediately after names indicate ages, a second digit of 'x' means it was unreadable. Dates in parentheses are purchase dates for residents who were the first purchaser, and therefore also on the list of first lot owners. I don't have purchase dates for the other houses. Purchase date may, of course be earlier than when the house was built.
#3 Giddeon 58 and Ida Briggs 5x (1904);
Nellie 34-daughter, Bessie 26 -daughter (unreadable)15-son
#5 David 35 and Elizabeth 39 Virts (1905); Job is (unreadable) insurance
Helen 9-daughter Elizabeth 22 mos.-daughter
# 6/8 Frederick 34 and Abigail 36 Grimm ; Job is mailclerk B&O railroad
Catherine 7-daughter Frederick 2-son
#9 William 3x and Nellie 2x Davis (1907;) Job is Life insurance agent
#16 Charles 37 and Ida R. 42 Mansfield (1906); Job is Salesman farm supply
Ida C. 4-daughter
#18 Ignatius 40 and Alverta 40 Ward (1906); Job is house carpenter
John 15-son Forest 12-son Mary 10-daughter Derby 8-son Viola 6-daughter Violet 6-daughter
#19/21/23 John W. 50 and Virginia L 45 Darby; Job is salesman lumber yard
W? 17-daughter Clara 10-daughter
#22 Thomas(or Edmund)65 and Evangeline 60 Amiss; job of son Robert is house painter
Henry 25-son Robert 20-son Bessie 26-daughter
#25 Mary S. 3x Buruss (1909;)
Carroll 7-son Harry W 5-son Mary S 2 1/2-daughter Martha-daughter ? Mary 68-mother Nellie Birnett 40-friend
#27 Asbury 65 and Annie 63 Martin (1909);
John S 33-son Nellie 26-daughter- in-law Annie S.-grandchild
Magruder farm Walter M. 31 and Clara 30 Magruder; Job is farmer
Marshall 9-son John W. 8-son Dorothy 5-daughter Harry(Henry?) 3-son Lillie Walker 2x-House servant
Had gas line brought into house and converted furnace from oil to gas boiler and added separate water heater, relined chimney with steel.
Replaced original metal roofing with metal shingle and standing seam roof in 2004.
Replaced water line from street to house in 2006.
Replaced water heater in 2007.
Remodeled upstairs bathroom in 2009 including new drywall.
Replaced gutters in 2010.
Remodeled downstairs bathroom in 2014.
Remodeled kitchen in 2015 including new wiring and drywall.
Repainted house exterior in 2015.
All new first floor flooring in 2015 except bathroom.
Maryland Historical Trust - Ringer-Darby House
Maryland Historical Trust - Brookes, Russell & Walker Avenues Historic Districts
Maryland Histoical Trust - Old Town Gaithersburg
Historic District Commission - City of Gaithersburg
Historic Preservation - City of Gaithersburg
Historic Preservation - Montgomery County
Plat - Historic Ringer-Darby House
Historic District Guidelines - Brookes, Russell, Walker Historic District
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office
Click and drag the orange silhouette in the top left corner of the map to activate Google Maps Street View.