Historic Homes NetworkHistoric Homes Marketing Group

117 Meem Avenue Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877

$470,000 4 2

Property Information

  • Property ID: 8380
  • Location: Maryland
  • Property: For Sale
  • Price: $470,000
  • Property Type: Single Family Home
  • Bed: 4
  • Year Built: 1911
  • Bath: 2
  • Acreage: 0.32
  • MLS Number: MC9915539
  • Square Footage: 1,896 sqft
  • Fireplaces: 2
  • Garages: 2
  • Stories: 3+

Description

Historic Robertson House  c.1911

In the Chestnut/Meem Historic District, this is a beautifully restored American Foursquare with a charming front porch and 30' x 30' detached 2 story garage/studio, at the end of a dead end street. With 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms, gorgeous wood floors, gourmet kitchen, pocket doors, fireplaces with wood mantels, original moldings, sunroom, expansive deck, private yard, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction close to DC, yet a world away. Minutes to the MARC train, shopping and entertainment.
The Sellers are just the 3rd family to own this extraordinary property since it was built over 100 years ago.

Commuting

Guide to Transportation
Less than 1 mile to the Gaithersburg MARC train station
3.1 miles to the Shady Grove METRO Station

Rooms

First Floor
Entry Foyer 13' x 11'
- Wood floor, staircase, pocket door to Dining Room, 3 windows.
Dining Room 13' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel (closed), hanging lamp, 2 windows.
Parlor 16' x 15' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, ceiling fan, track lighting, 4 windows (including bay).
Kitchen 12' x 11' - Wood floor, granite counter, butcher block center island with electric cook top (down draft), ceiling fan, recessed lights, hanging lamp, custom cabinets, door to sun porch, 1 window.
Full Bathroom- Wood floor, custom shower.
Enclosed Sun Porch 15' x 8' - Wood floor, sliding glass doors.
Deck 20' x 12'

Second Floor
Bedroom 1 13' x 11' - Wood floor, closet, 2 windows.
Bedroom 2 11' x 11' - Wood floor, closet, 2 windows.
Bedroom 3 12' x 11' - Wood floor, closet, 1 window.
Master Bedroom 13' x 11' - Wood floor, closet, built-in wall of drawers, 2 windows.
Sitting Room 9' x 8' - Carpet, 1 window.
Laundry Room 7' x 4' - Carpet.
Bathroom 8' x 5' - Ceramic tile floor, claw foot tub, 1 window.

Detached Garage/studio 30' x 30'  Insulated with second story storage

Features & Improvements

  • Historic 1911 American “Four-Square”
  • 4 bedrooms
  • 2 full baths
  • 1,896 square feet of living space
  • Home faces north with sunrise and sunset views from ample windows on all sides of the house.
  • Original molding around all doors and windows.
  • Original doors and antique door knobs
  • Hand-carved original oak front door
  • Original push button light switches
  • Detached 30’ x 30’ building that could serve as a space for an art studio, carpenter shop, recreation space or 2.5 car width garage. Huge storage area above with exterior and interior loft access plus a 10 x 20 foot concrete pad out front
  • Shady, old-fashioned front porch with 4 stately columns and mahogany deck under a red steel roof
  • New rear four-season sun porch that opens out to a brand new 20’x 12’ open air shady deck with double staircases that lead to landscaped back and side yards; notch for large grill built into the deck design
  • Built-in custom wall of floor-to-ceiling drawers in master bedroom for generous storage for seasonal wardrobe organization.
  • Upstairs laundry area with shelving for supplies
  • 1920's claw foot tub with deluxe french shower faucetry in upstairs bath surrounded by floor-to-ceiling subway tiles, mirror and glass block window
  • Sculptural granite shower with modern oversized shower head and cherry hardwood floor in downstairs bathroom
  • Raised, glass-enclosed wood burning fireplace with full-stocked firewood supply
  • Exposed rough-cut cedar-beamed ceiling in living room with track lighting and wrap-around wainscote walls and built-in book case
  • Private dining room with original pocket doors and large picture window featuring original carved mantle as room centerpiece
  • Upgraded cook-designed kitchen with butcher block island; Italian granite counter; glass checked backsplash tiles; Kitchen Aid appliances; brand new down-draft Kitchen Aid glass top electric stove; 5” plank hardwood cherry floors; maple cabinets; new 3/4 horsepower garbage disposal; solid brass Hunter ceiling fan with lifetime guarantee
  • Gardeners! Ready to plant in huge raised-bed organic vegetable garden
  • Landscaped perennial gardens; 2 crepe myrtles and many of hostas, black-eyed susans and lilies, daffodils and tulips.
  • Fire pit on the private side yard
  • Last house on a wooded dead-end street with an multi-car gravel driveway plus 300-ft of street parking
  • Upgraded turn-of-the-century cellar with brand new Bilco entrance and custom-crafted marble steps; annually maintained under premium service contract; baseboard oil heat furnace which generates unlimited hot water (no hot water tank)
  • Easy access to spacious, insulated, stand up attic with 10-foot gables
  • All rooms freshly painted—ready to move in!
  • 8' x 8' garden and tool shed with steel roof for lawn mower and tool storage.
  • Only one house as a neighbor
  • Property line blends into wooded section of trees that creates an enclave on a historic dead-end street

Historic Robertson House (M:21-119)

The family of Gaithersburg's first Mayor sub-divided part of their farm in 1896 for this residential neighborhood. Robertson house was, built in 1911 on one.of these lots, and is a near original example. of the popular "American Foursquare" architectural style. It was owned by the Robertsons for over 60 years.

"Meem's Addition to Gaithersburg" was platted in 1896 on part of the 18th century Rawling's family farm. Martha Meem purchased 200 acres of "Rawling's Rest" and "Zoar" in 1862, and her family built the large Victorian home on Chestnut Street. When the land was subdivided in 1896, this lot was one of the 8 owned by George Meem. Mr. Meem was a driving force in the development of Gaithersburg as a mercantile and trade center. He was the first Mayor of Gaithersburg, after that system was adopted in 1898.

The 30 lots of "Meem's Addition" occupied a triangular area between Diamond Avenue and the B&O Railroad tracks. The lots were large, nearly 2 acre and heavily treed, but Meem's Addition was not a residential success, and few lots were sold, in the first decade.

In 1911 William and Lillian Robertson purchased lots 26 and 27 for $200. A mortgage for $1,425 paid for the construction of this house in the same year. The Robertson House is an example of a variant of the colonial revival architecture, commonly called American Foursquare. This house is typical of that style with its box shape, symmetrical arrangement and full width porch with classical columns. The house is in near original condition except for the composition shingling applied over the original frame siding.

With the death of Lillian Robertson in 1973, the 60 year occupancy by that family ended.3 During those years many of the vacant lots in Meem's Addition had been developed, and a wide variety of architectural styles are evident, with this home one of the earliest.
more from MHT...

Chestnut/Meem Historic District (M:21-178)

The Chestnut/Meem area embodies both the development patterns of the City and a parallel generational history over the past 150 years.

The First Stage ( 1846-1896) Large farms or estates, owned by a few families, characterized the area at the beginning of this stage. However, the land, being next to two major transportation routes, the Georgetowne to Fredericktowne Road (MD Route 355) and the railroad, was ideally positioned for development. Toward the end of this first stage, several large impressive Victorian style homes had been built on one-acre lots in the Chestnut/Meem area. These original Victorian homes still dominate the area expressing the intent of the property owners to establish a prestigious area of grand houses.

The Second Stage ( 1896-1948) In 1896, the unsold land of the Meem Family along Chestnut Street, Meem Avenue, and West Diamond Avenue (Barnesville Road) was subdivided into thirty approximately one-half acre lots. More building occurred during this time, much of it done by the descendants of the early home builders of the area. Intact houses remain exemplifying the Craftsman period, Sears houses, and bungalows which show the transition to more compact centrally-heated homes. During this era, families still maintained large gardens, chickens and other animals to feed their families.

The Third Stage ( 1949-1995) The area as a whole remained sparsely developed until the 1950s when some lots were further subdivided into smaller parcels for smaller dwellings. Now the residential land is almost completely developed with modern infill, mostly one-story ramblers, cape-cod residences, and some commercial properties. This changes were accompanied with others: the streets were paved, the Montgomery County Agriculture Center (Fairgrounds) was built, and modern traffic and railroad signals installed. Land next to the railroad has been zoned for industrial and commercial use and some of the original houses have been demolished for new development or converted to commercial uses. The current residential area has continued to be a desirable location for its large yards, convenience, and mix of character.

...George and Otto had houses on Diamond Avenue and Cloriviere lived in Mrs. Bibb's house, "Pomona" near Brown's Station, before building a new house "Idlewilde" on land across from the main gate of what is now the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Albert lived in the new family home and Harry C. Meem sold his properties and moved to Dickerson where he was the railroad agent for many years. Cloriviere sold lots 26 and 27 at the north end of Meem to William Robertson in 1911.  Mr. Robertson built the fine foursquare house at 115 Meem (now 117 Meem) which remained in his family until the 1970s. The one-acre parcel had a large garden, orchard, and chicken house. The original receipts for the furnishings for this house are in the possession of the Robertson's son, Daniel Robertson, of Gaithersburg.
more from MHT...

Brief History of Gaithersburg

Gaithersburg was a small rural community in the early 19th century. Commerce did not boom until the coming of the railroad in the late 19th century. Rail service from Gaithersburg was established in September 1872, but the line was not yet complete to Rockville. Regular service of the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad began in May 1873, and the town soon became the commercial hub of central Montgomery County. Commerce shifted from Frederick Avenue to Diamond Avenue near the train station which soon became the hub of town. The town established its own government in 1878. The current train station was built in 1884 on the east side of Summit Avenue, and trains still play a role in Gaithersburg today. The MARC commuter rail line, a successor to the trains run by the B&O, still provides daily commuter service to Washington for the residents of Gaithersburg.

As early as 1887 the railroad was advertising monthly tickets for the 21.5 mile trip from Gaithersburg to Washington. While many commuters settled in towns closer to Washington such as Takoma Park and Kensington, an increasing number of commuters traveled from Gaithersburg. This trend likely precipitated the development of the area known as Brookes, Russell and Walker south of Realty Park but just north of the train station. While this suburban community evolved from a series of subdivisions of land that was added to the city, it has a cohesive architectural style because it was developed over a short period of time.
more (MHT)...

Links

Maryland Historical Trust - Robertson House
Plat - 117 Meem Avenue
Maryland Historical Trust - Chestnut/Meem Historic District
Map - Chestnut/Meem Historic District
Maryland Histoical Trust - Old Town Gaithersburg
Historic District Commission
 - City of Gaithersburg
Historic Preservation - City of Gaithersburg
Historic Preservation - Montgomery County
Historic District Guidelines - Chestnut/Meem Historic District

Contact Me

Gary Gestson
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
gary@HistoricHomeTeam.com
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office
301-646-0046 Mobile



Features

  • 1/3 Acre
  • 2 Bathrooms
  • 2 Fireplaces with Wood Mantels
  • 20' x 12' Deck
  • 30' x 30' Garage/Studio
  • 4 Bedrooms
  • American Foursquare
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Gourmet Kitchen
  • Historic District
  • Historic significance
  • Minutes To MARC Train
  • Original Moldings
  • Pocket Doors
  • Private yard
  • Sunroom
  • Wood Floors


Share this property with a friend


[really_simple_share]

Property Location

Click and drag the orange silhouette in the top left corner of the map to activate Google Maps Street View.

More Properties by Gary Gestson

More by Gary Gestson

  • Historic Maryland Avenue House c.1924
    Historic Maryland Avenue House c.1924
    Historic Maryland Avenue House c.1924

    3 Bed - 3 Bath | $465,000

  • Manor of Truman's Place c.1770
    Manor of Truman's Place
    Manor of Truman's Place

    6+ Bed - 5 Bath | $1,299,000

  • Historic Honeysuckle Hill c.1820
    Historic Honeysuckle Hill c.1820
    Historic Honeysuckle Hill c.1820

    4 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Pleasant Hill c.1761
    Historic Pleasant Hill c.1761
    Historic Pleasant Hill c.1761

    5 Bed - 4 Bath | $824,900

  • Historic Farmette c.1803
    Historic Farmette c.1803
    Historic Farmette c.1803

    3 Bed - 3 Bath | $524,900

  • Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830
    Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830
    Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Shay House c.1794
    Historic Shay House c.1794
    Historic Shay House c.1794

    6+ Bed - 2 Bath | $299,900

  • Holland-Claggett Farm c.1830
    Historic Holland-Claggett Farm c.1830
    Historic Holland-Claggett Farm c.1830

    3 Bed - 1 Bath | $749,000

  • Historic Mary's Promise c.1790
    Mary's Promise c.1790
    Mary's Promise c.1790

    4 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Mid-Century Classic
    Mid-Century Classic
    Mid-Century Classic

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Ringer-Darby House c.1906
    Historic Ringer-Darby House
    Historic Ringer-Darby House

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Timberlea c.1899
    Historic Timberlea c.1899
    Historic Timberlea c.1899

    5 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Fairview c.1790
    Historic Fairview c.1790
    Historic Fairview c.1790

    6+ Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Theodore Kimple House c.1884
    Historic Theodore Kimple Farm c.1884
    Historic Theodore Kimple Farm c.1884

    4 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Croom House c.1932
    Historic Croom Farm c.1932
    Historic Croom Farm c.1932

    4 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic John Hall House c.1800
    Historic John Hall House c.1800
    Historic John Hall House c.1800

    4 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Oyer House c.1830
    Historic Christian Oyer House c.1830
    Historic Christian Oyer House c.1830

    4 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Granite School House c.1871
    Historic Granite School House c.1879
    Historic Granite School House c.1879

    5 Bed - 4 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Wilson-Bennett House c.1900
    Historic Wilson-Bennett House c.1900
    Historic Wilson-Bennett House c.1900

    6+ Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Hersh Farm c.1857
    Historic Hersh Farm c.1857
    Historic Hersh Farm c.1857

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Mumma House c.1923
    Historic Mumma House c.1923
    Historic Mumma House c.1923

    6+ Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • John D. Berry House c.1866
    Historic John D. Berry House c.1866
    Historic John D. Berry House c.1866

    6+ Bed - 6 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Long Meadows c.1730
    Historic Long Meadows c.1775
    Historic Long Meadows c.1775

    8 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Mt. Welcome Retreat
    Historic Mt. Welcome Retreat c.1800
    Historic Mt. Welcome Retreat c.1800

    4 Bed - 4 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Kinna's Mill House c.1770
    Historic Kinna's Mill House c.1770
    Historic Kinna's Mill House c.1770

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • dancehall-640-1
    Historic Joselene Hills Manor c.1870
    Historic Joselene Hills Manor c.1870

    4 Bed - 3 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Morris Farm
    Historic Morris Farm c.1750
    Historic Morris Farm c.1750

    3 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD

  • Historic Ox Bow House c.1800
    Historic Ox Bow House c.1800
    Historic Ox Bow House c.1800

    2 Bed - 1 Bath | $SOLD

  • creek-640
    Historic Creek House c.1776
    Historic Creek House c.1776

    4 Bed - 2 Bath | $SOLD